Intaglio Mint - Cryptozoology: Loch Ness Monster - BU (2oz Silver)
- Country: United States
- Period: Federal Republic (1776-Date)
- Type: Silver Bullion
- Mint: Intaglio Mint - Waco, Texas
- Composition: .999 Silver
- Diameter: 39mm
- Weight: 62.2g
- Edge: Reeded
- Condition: Brilliant Uncirculated - BU
- Obverse: The detailed and high-relief depiction of the Loch Ness Monster shown both above and underwater
- Reverse: High-Relief Intaglio Mint logo set on radial burst surrounded by stippled border reading “TWO TROY OUNCES” above and “.999 FINE SILVER” below on textured background, flanked by mintage year in roman numerals
In Scottish folklore, and dating back to the 7th century, the Loch Ness Monster or “Nessie,” is said to inhabit Loch Ness in the Scottish Highlands. Nessie did not become mainstream until 1933 when a London man claimed to have seen a prehistoric beast on the Loch Ness Shores. Soon, the legend of the “Loch Ness Monster captivated the world, with hordes of people arriving to photograph the lake in the hopes of a monster sighting.
Nessie is often described as large in size with a long neck and one or more humps protruding from the water. Popular interest and belief in the creature have varied since it was brought to worldwide attention, and evidence of its existence is anecdotal, with a few disputed photographs and sonar readings.
These 2oz silver cryptid rounds are an excellent series from the Intaglio Mint for those that encoy the creatures that legends are made of. Get yours before they are gone!
*Coin condition is based on our professional opinion. Pictures are representative of the coin that you will receive, actual coin may differ slightly, and serial numbers may vary*