2021 South Africa 5 Rand - The Big Five: Buffalo - South African Mint
- Country: South Africa
- Period: Republic of South Africa
- Years: 2021
- Mint: South African Mint - Centurion (1988-Date)
- Denomination: 5 Rand
- Currency: Rand (Silver Bullion Coinage)
- Composition: .999 Silver
- Diameter: 38.725mm
- Weight: 31.1g
- Edge: Reeded
- Mintage: 15,000
- Obverse: Depicting partial faces of two buffalos left & right with denomination, weight and finesse in a circle in the middle
- Reverse: Buffalo bull facing left South African coat of arms in circle bottom center; lettering left and right of coat of arms
The fifth and last release in the popular Big Five Series from the South African Mint is dedicated to the Buffalo. South Africa is justifiably proud of its extraordinary wildlife. The animals known as "Big Five" - Elephant - Lion - Buffalo - Rhino - Leopard - are landmarks and ambassadors of this culturally rich country. The motive of the silver coin features the impressive portrait of a buffalo. Also included in the design are the inscriptions "South Africa", "Big Five 2021" and South Africa’s national coat-of-arms. The reverse features two halves of a buffalo head. When two of those coins are placed next to each other, a complete close-up portrait of a buffalo is visible. By placing many of these coins next to each other, a whole buffalo herd appears. The Cape or African buffalo (Syncerus caffer) is a typical grazer. It lives in herds of a few dozen to hundreds of animals and prefers swampy areas and shaded grasslands near water. Particularly characteristic for the buffalo are its sweeping, curved horns, which can reach a span of up to 1.50 meters. As a "Big Five" member, the buffalo was formerly hunted on big-game hunts and severely decimated, so that the species almost became extinct - in the meantime, however, the populations have recovered. The limited Big Five Buffalo silver coin in uncirculated quality is delivered in an illustrated blistercard from the South African Mint.
- 2021 1 oz South Africa Big Five Buffalo BU.
- Fifth and final release in the South Africa Big Five series.
- Extremely limited mintage of only 15,000!
- Individual coins come in mint capsule, presented in an attractive blistercard.
- Contains 1 oz .999 fine silver.
- Face value of 5 rand.
- A striking, finely-detailed close-up head and neck presentation of the African Buffalo.
- A unique design that by placing two coins side by side, the partial head images of two buffalo visually produce the image of a third buffalo’s full head in the center between the two coins.
*Coin condition is based on our professional opinion. Pictures are representative of the coin that you will receive, actual coin may differ slightly, and serial numbers will vary*