2020 Cook Islands $5 - Vinales Meteorite Impact - CIT (1oz Silver)
- Country: Cook Islands
- Queen: Elizabeth II (1952-Date)
- Type: Non-Circulating Coin
- Years: 2020
- Mint: B. H. Mayer Kunstprageanstalt - Karlsfeld, Germany (1999-date)
- Denomination: 5 NZD
- Currency: New Zealand Dollar (1972-Date)
- Composition: .999 Silver
- Diameter: 33mm
- Weight: 31.1g
- Edge: Reeded
- Mintage: 2,500
- Condition: New - Mint Packaging
- Obverse: The Effigy of HM Queen Elizabeth II; Date below, country to right, denomination above
- Reverse: Depicts how the Vinales meteorite impact hit the ground, embedded in the crater is a 2.5mm specimen of the meteorite. The crater starts from the edge of the coin and the ultra high relief design gives the earth walls a realistic look.
Do you remember what you did on February 1st, 2019?
People in Viñales, a little city in western Cuba do for sure. On that day hundreds of meteorite stones showered down in the area. The meteorites could be seen even from the Florida Keys. In total 100 kg of extraterrestrial material was collected. So the Viñales Meteorite, the 2020 edition of the Meteorites Impacts series (already the 16th issue) can be considered a new meteorite as it is one of the latest official impacts.
This stunning piece tells a story. A story how the meteorite, of which an original 2.5 mm part is embedded, has hit the ground. And to picture this dynamic impact on this 1 oz coin CIT uses the new possibilities of the enhanced smartminting© technology. The crater starts from the edge of the coin and ultra high relief creates earth walls in a very realistic way. The combination of proof, frosted and satin areas let us see what people in Viñales experienced in February 2019.
Get yourself a piece of the extraterrestrial meteorite embedded in a unique and exceptional coin. This silver .999 coin is limited to 2500 pieces and features a proof finish.
*Coin condition is based on our professional opinion. Pictures are representative of the coin that you will receive, actual coin may differ slightly, and serial numbers may vary*