2018 British Indian Ocean Territory £4 - The Siren - Colored (2oz Silver)
- Country: British Indian Ocean Territory
- Queen: Elizabeth II (1952-Date)
- Type: Non-Circulating Coin
- Years: 2018
- Mint: Pobjoy Mint - Surrey, United Kingdom
- Denomination: 4 GBP
- Currency: Pound Sterling (2008-Date)
- Composition: .999 Silver
- Diameter: 50mm
- Weight: 62.2g
- Edge: Smooth
- Mintage: 250
- Condition: New - Mint Packaging
- Obverse: Effigy of Queen Elizabeth II facing right, legend around with date
- Reverse: A Siren sitting on the rocks playing her harp. The skulls that can be seen around her on the rocks represent the sailors that had previously been lured and their ships wrecked. The latest ship to be attracted to the wonderful music can be seen in the background
The Siren stems from famous mythological stories, tales and legends that were designed to entertain, thrill and inspire the listeners. These ancient Myths contain morals teaching the virtues of love, courage, strength and self-reliance. They also teach the consequences of vices associated with jealousy, greed, deceit and treachery. The famous stories with their monsters and scary creatures are known the world over.
The Sirens were beautiful but dangerous creatures, usually depicted as mermaids, that lured the sailors with their beautiful voices and music to their doom, causing the ships to crash on the rocks near their island. The image of the coin depicts a Siren sitting on the rocks playing her harp. The skulls that can be seen around her on the rocks represent the sailors that had previously been lured and their ships wrecked. The latest ship to be attracted to the wonderful music can be seen in the background.
Pobjoy Mint's Mythical Creatures series brings the characters of these myths to life in 2oz fine silver coins produced in a stunning High Relief with an Antique Finish done by hand.
*Coin condition is based on our professional opinion. Pictures are representative of the coin that you will receive, actual coin may differ slightly, and serial numbers may vary*
Currently Out of Stock